Welcome ...

Welcome ... to the novels of Caleigh Cross.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Graduation and everything after

Hi! Yes, it's true: I don't think we're in Kansas...er, high school...anymore. I got my first email from the Alumni Office last week. How weird is that...? I'm now one of St. Johnsbury Academy's alumni. It's not a bad thing exactly, it's just going to take some getting used to. I don't go there anymore.
I go to Bishop's University in Canada now. I'm in university. I am officially a college student. In a few months, I'm going to be living on my own, looking after myself and making my own decisions.
Cool.

Right now I'm in Prince Edward Island, at our family's summer cottage in Cape Egmont. It's gorgeous here if a bit chilly. Our place is like 10 metres from the ocean and I'm telling you, there's nothing better than the smell of the sea, especially if there's a brisk coast wind blowing. (I'm secretly an ocean person. Shh: don't tell anyone. I also love sailing.)

Still working on the sequel to Until the End of the World (it has yet to give me a title). I spent some time today looking for a Greek name for a fairly significant cat. I assume someone out there besides me has a cat with a name other than Fluffy: what is it? In fact, that's my question for this week: what did you name your cat, and why? (Dog names will also be considered if they're not too species-specific.) Winner, you'll get your name in the acknowledgments page, as well as the obvious satisfaction of knowing you named the cat in my next book.

Speaking of cats, mine (called Pauwels; long story, ask me later) has just vacated my lap and trotted off to his food dish, staring expectantly at his faithful servant (i.e. me) for his dinner, so I guess duty calls. Catch you all later.

--Caleigh x

P.S. What time is it when ten elephants are chasing you?

Ten after one!

2 comments:

  1. I named my first cat companion Brandy -- not for the beverage but because it was the name of a strong, wind-blown woman in a song I liked "back then." Actually I still like the song. One later cat arrived with the names Puff. She went to live elsewhere when I moved to a smaller place. The one after that was Scruffy. I married a man who brought along a cat named Joe. Really. I wish I'd thought of Andromeda or Perseus at the time. Probably the depths of naming came the year I acquired two kittens who came already named: Cookie, and Jam. And no, I am not obsessed with food. (Well, maybe sometimes.) Did I mention Kenny Rogers? He was a Siamese cat who thought he could sing. Sigh. My life, my cats. I was always destined to live with layers of the mundane, under which my secrets would be safe. And secret. Could your cat have a secret name, as well as a public one?? (PS - I like the elephant joke.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to think of what song is about a woman named Brandy and having a hard time...what song and who sings it? I might want to listen to it. I might even want to include it in my next "Top 10 List", if it helps.
    Puff...hmm. That has possibilities, considering Victoria gets to name the cat (reminder: she's seven).
    I've thought that if I were ever going to have children, I would name one of my daughters Andromeda Margaret - we could call her Anna, for short, or Andi, as one of my friends pointed out. (I can never decide which is cuter).

    Anyways, consider your cat names submitted :)

    cac

    ReplyDelete